Sunday, March 29, 2015

Celebrating National Craft Month

Did you know that March is National Craft Month?  I'm a little embarrased that I did not know that until last week when I received inspiration from an incredible artist and designer of unique gifts, Patience Brewster.  On my first visit to her website I got lost (in a good way!) for a very long time.  I was fascinated by this post that shows how Patience's art comes to life and fell in love with her unique style.  You can (and should!) check out her work. :)  I pinned my very favorites...these reindeer...and shortly after my sister sent me a message saying that those were the ornaments that her mother-in-law had bought for my sister's family for Christmas.  Small world, right?  I can't wait to see them in person when we visit this summer.  
In honor of National Craft Month, I created this post reflecting on why this craft is important to me.  The card I'm sharing today is a perfect illustration of why I love card making.  
Last week I made a card for my sister's birthday. (You can see it here.)  I was happy with the card, but the more I looked at it, the more I knew it was the wrong card for her.  The colors were right, but I knew that I could make a card that reflected her so much better.  Then when I started thinking about why I love this craft, I knew I had to make a new card.  Late the night before I was supposed to drive to my sister's house, I pulled out Altenew's Vintage Roses and got to work.  I was on a mission.  I spent hours on this card, but it was so worth it.  The final product (at least in my opinion) is a perfect reflection of my sister and some of the things she loves most.  
So why do I love this craft?  It's a way for me to show my love for other people.  I almost always make a card with a specific person in mind.  I love to personalize cards with the recipient's favorite colors or images, to create a card that is a reflection of how I see them, or to create a card that conveys the feelings in my heart.  I try to create something that reflects their style/personality...to create something that they would love.  I also love card making because most of the cards I make are thank you cards, and I love that this craft helps me to not only better recognize the blessings in my life but to express that gratitude.
And selfishly, I love this craft because it makes me happy.  I was giddy and dancing after finishing this card. It was a challenge.  Just the process of creating the right color of ink for each layer alone was more intense than I normally do (these three and four step images actually ended up being five to eight step images), but it was so worth it...because I knew it would make my sister happy. :) Thanks so much stopping by today!  You are amazing if you've stuck with me to until the end of this very long post.  I hope you do something special in honor of National Craft Month, and I hope that you have a wonderfully happy week!

PS I'm linking up to the following challenges:
Simon Says Wednesday Challenge: Anything Goes
Darnell's NBUS Challenge #4 (my NBUS is Altenew's Vintage Roses)

13 comments:

  1. Lindsey, I love this craft for the exact same reasons you do. My cards are almost always made with a special person in mind. And...crafting relaxes me...it takes my mind off the every day stresses. Your sister's card is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous! It definitely looks like it is for someone very special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yellow roses are my favorite, and they are WOW against this beautiful bright turquoise, LIndsey! I know your sister will treasure this! Thanks for sharing it with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post, Lindsey ... you expressed your love for your craft so eloquently! I can so relate ... and can apply much of what you so beautifully wrote to myself! Gorgeous card for your sister ... the attention to detail and love that went into it seems to shine through those stunning blooms! Bon dimanche! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your card is lovely!!! I love, love the colors together and your clean and simple design. Oh so stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Lindsey! Not only is your card beautifully done. Your words are too. I felt like you were speaking for me too. I also make most of my cards with a certain person in mind. I try and make the card in their favorite colors, and something that I hope they would see that I did make something that would reflect them and how special they are to me.

    Great job on this wonderful post! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I did not know that it was national craft month either. Perhaps I should do some crafty shopping to celebrate? Your card is wonderful and so worth the effort. I am sure that your sister will love it, and I really enjoyed hearing more about why you craft.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I would be giddy and dancing if I finished your card, too--it's simply gorgeous! Who wouldn't love it? Thanks for sharing your creative thoughts and process--perfect for National Craft Month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh , these roses look gorgeous! Love the layering and shading , the background color is perfect with the yellow. I think I learned it was craft month from Marietta as well. Yes , it is a small world.
    Beautiful post and card!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is stunning! I love that set!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lindsey, Binzy, I absolutely loved receiving this card. You do know me so well. The colors, the yellow roses, the time it took to create it, it was perfect! Thanks for making my birthday so special. Love ya Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are such a sweetheart, Lindsey! How lucky your sister is to have you for a sister! I'm sure she loved both of her cards and will treasure them, but she will be especially moved by the effort and thought that went into this one!!

    I received one of those emails from Marietta Brewster, too, but I confess I was wary of it because it came so late in March, asking about celebrating a month-long challenge that I hadn't even read about in Blogland and it was a bit vague. I answered via the contact page on the website, just out of an abundance of caution that it wasn't a hacked mailing thing, but I never heard back from her. HOWEVER, just like you, while I was there, I was astounded by her mother's artistry! How lucky that you will get to see her work IRL!

    Thank you so much for supporting and playing again in my NBUS Challenge! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lindsay, I love your card!!! Aren't those Vintage Roses adorable? I too got that same set recently and made a card using pinks and lime green. I love how they look in yellow, especially together with that gorgeous turquoise card base! Hugs dear friend, Gracie.

    ReplyDelete